Wednesday 16 April 2014

Bidjara People #6 Claim

The claim area is approximately bounded by Barcaldine in the north, Roma in the east, Wyandra in the south and Adavale in the west.

Bidjara apical ancestors are listed as

Jemima
Harry Gadd
Mother of George, Ada and Georgina Turner
Paddy Murphy
George Mother and Roy Murphy
Harry Brown and Alice
Jemima Tindale and Jim ‘Toby’ Lawton
Charlie Victor
'Gyima' Lucy
Maggie
Lisa Fraser aka Eliza Peters
Dinah Lena
Hector Watson
Celina Grey
Alick Bosun
Mother of Ada, Lucy, Billy and Archie Lang
Willie and Minnema Colonel
Rubena Smith
William ‘Snapper’ Barnes
Jo and Dixie
Isabel Florence Bailey
'Gylma' Lucy
Kate Johnson – Mother of Lucy Long
Billy Langlo
Edward 'Charlie' Prince
Nellie Combo (mother of Billy Geebung) and Lucy Combo Ada, Fred and Mick Tatten

This notice appeared in the Koori Mail of April 9, 2014.

Some notes

1. There is a Lucy Mailman who died on 23. 5.1937 at Augathella aged 70 yrs whose father was W Long and mother was Kate Long (nee Johnson).

2. The Mitchell Police Letterbooks have an entry dated 6. 9.1920 as follows - Police Tracker Sandy discharged. A suitable replacement is Hector Watson who is about 30 years old and has recently been employed at Forest Vale. He is a native of Warrego. He has a H/C gin named Annie, recently employed at Forest Vale. Annie has a H/C boy aged 10 years.

3. Minnema an old woman, Willie Colonel an old man and Jessie and Pansy Colonel were removed from Bogarella to Cherbourg in 1931.

15 comments:

  1. Willie Colonel and Minnema Tatten(Nee Colonel) were brother and sister. Fred and Mick Tatten were Minnema's sons. Willie was the father of Jessie & Pansy. Jessie had a daughter she named after her sister Pansy who left Cherbourg in 1938 (approx) . Jessie brought up her sister's first son Rex on Cherbourg. Pansy Thorpe (nee Colonel 1922- ) had 6 more children James, Patricia, June, George, Victor & Diane. Pansy lives in Brisbane and turns 93 this July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi i'm Rex young son my name is daniel Pansy is my grandmother Rex mum i like to no more about my Grandmother's family..

      Delete
  2. I am the grand daughter of Pansy Colonel (living) & James Thorpe (deceased). Pansy believes she may be the eldest elder left from her generation. Can anyone confirm this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I'm Rex younger son Daniel Pansy is my Grandmother

      Delete
  3. Pansy knows a lot about many of the people on this apical list. Why has no one been in touch with her?? Ray Robinson has her details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may be ale to find out more from the claimants in the Federal Court of Australia case "Wyman on behalf of the Bidjara People v State of Queensland (No 4) [2014] FCA 93 (21 February 2014)" which can be seen at http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/FCA/2014/93.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iam a grandson of paddy Murphy his brothers were George mothers and Roy Murphy iam looking for more information on my grandfather and family members my mother was rita Noel Murphy paddy's youngest daughter born in emerald qld.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they have any relation to archie (Archibald) Murphy from Charleville I'm looking for my great grand fathers family

      Delete
  6. I am just finding my heritage and have learnt that Edward "Charlie" Prince is my Great Great Grandfather and my Great Grandfather was his son - Phillip Prince who was enlisted as an indigenous Australian Military Officer in the early 1900's. It is great to know that I am from Bidjara heritage and I hope to learn more and more about where I am from and my cultural background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth Jane,
      it appears we are distant kin. My Grandfather was Lawrence Prince of Augathella, also an indigenous serviceman. Mum (Dianne Prince, Augathella) always refered to Charlie as Great Uncle Charlie, and she tells many stories of time spent with Philip.

      Delete
    2. Hello Elizabeth Jane,
      it appears we are distant kin. My Grandfather was Lawrence Prince of Augathella, also an indigenous serviceman. Mum (Dianne Prince, Augathella) always refered to Charlie as Great Uncle Charlie, and she tells many stories of time spent with Philip.

      Delete
    3. Elizabeth Jane are you still looking for info? Would love to connect with you if you are! Edward Charlie Prince is my g g g grandfather. Philips sister Caroline is my g g grandmother. Our cousin Belinda who is Philips grandaughter has done a whole Prince family book and a lot of research. I'm sure she'd have photo's of Phillip she can share with you too :) I've never replied on one of these types of thread things before, but you can contact me on melissaann135@gmail.com or on facebook, Melissa Mogg.

      Delete
    4. Hi there, I'm not sure if this thread is still active but Edward "Charlie" Prince was also my great great grandfather. My great grandfather was Charles William Prince, Phillip's brother. I am also trying to find out more about my ancestors and family heritage so would love any information that might be available.

      My grandfather Ronald Edward Prince grew up on his family's cattle station near Augathella, before he headed overseas to fight in World War II. Upon his return from war, he relocated to Victoria.

      Delete
  7. I is my Harry Gadd's great grandfather I've just started to look into my ancestry and come across this. Could you contact me with any information you have on him thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Stacie Murphy I am looking for paddy Murphy or Roy Murphy or their family please reach out

    ReplyDelete